this dish looked very enticing to me as i was searching for approachable recipes for a raw foodist to eat. it may sound involved but it only took me about twenty minutes to put together and it is a fantastic way to get to know how raw foodists make an otherwise very not-raw dish... RAW!
let us begin. pasta with mozzarella, basil, tomatoes and a red pepper sauce. mmm sounds good, right? can it really be accomplished without pasta... or cheese? i was pretty impressed. give it a whirl and let me know what you think if you do!
tomato and macadamia mozzarella linguine
for the linguine
4 medium carrots, ribboned
3 zucchini, ribboned
1/2 tbs salt
15 large basil leaves, chiffonade
2 tbs italian seasoning
2 cups cherry tomatoes
for the macadamia mozzarella
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
1/2 cup cashews
1 tbs tamari (soy sauce if you don't have tamari)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1 tbs nutritional yeast (can be found in the bulk section of whole foods, central market, etc.)
for the red pepper sauce
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 red pepper, roughly chopped
1/2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tbs agave
- ribbon the carrots and zucchini with a vegetable peeler or mandoline.
- combine linguine with the salt and mix well by hand. allow to sit while crafting mozzarella.
- combine mozzarella ingredients in a vita mix or food processor (i used a blender though) and blend until creamy. add a few tbs of water if desired and set aside.
- mix red pepper sauce ingredients in vita mix or blender until smooth and also set aside.
- drain water off of "linguine," combine with mozzarella and stir in the basil, tomatoes and seasonings. drizzle with red pepper sauce.
i also served this with a spinach salad and a lemon vinaigrette. great for a summer evening. end the night with a little lemon basil granita and you're basically going to lose ten pounds in a day. just saying. it's so possible to eat light and be satisfied. just takes a little thinkin'!
have a great saturday! i plan on spending mine downtown, on soco, at a gregory brother's concert and hanging out at barton springs. AUSTIN, I LOVE YOU!!!